Friday, January 11, 2013

Note from the editor (Katie)

Saddles. Good lord, I hate searching for a new saddle. And it doesn't help that I have the most round, wide shouldered, sensitive backed, weirdly shaped horse ever.

About a year ago, I had to go through the search to find a dressage saddle for basic flatwork training of the mare. With the help of a saddle fitter, I took multiple road trips to multiple tack shops multiple times, looking for a decent fit. 16 saddles later, I found one that was out of my price range, but I sucked it up in order to get the (only?) saddle that fit my horse. And then it needed to be reflocked, dropping even more money into it. (***EDIT: Now this saddle no longer fits because LITTLE MISS SHOULDERS had to go and get muscled. So now we need TWO new saddles***)

Now, I am looking for a jumping saddle, hoping to start teaching the beast to jump in the summer (when I get back from school). Like the first attempt with the dressage saddle, I set out to find "a cheap saddle that could work." Cue unrealistic expectations.

Now it seems that I will be partaking in another exhausting region-wide search to find a saddle that fits Beauty and me, probably spending much more than intended.

UGH. BEAST, Y U SO WEIRDLY SHAPED?

No comments:

Post a Comment